Questions and answers

  • How do I apply?
    You apply online in one of our four calls. If we have an open call you can find it here. Please find our guide here.
  • Can I apply for a PhD position outside the four open calls?
    No. We don't accept applications outside the four open calls and we require that applicants use our online application facility
  • Do I have to apply for financial support separately?
    GSST highly recommends that you contact a prospective supervisor before applying on a General Call, in order to inquire about possible financing. The likelihood of securing admission through a General Call depends on the available resources of the supervisor and department that you apply to. Specific Calls are made on the basis of a secured research grant, and thus have greater likelihood of resulting in the admission of a PhD student.
  • What are the criteria?
    The main criteria used in evaluating incoming applicants are their documented qualifications (composition of course programme, grades, publications, motivation, study periods abroad, time of study, recommendations, etc.). Secondary criteria are the scientific quality of the prepared research project for the PhD degree programme, and the suitability of the research environment for such a study. Additional aspects that can be taken into consideration include previous activities outside the university, plans for mobility during the PhD study period, plans for collaboration with external partners, plans for communication activities, etc. When assessing applicants with a Master's degree, we place more weight on the secondary criteria and additional aspects than we do for applicants without a Master's degree.
  • Is it possible to start working on the application, save it and get back to it later?
    No, you must have all relevant appendices, attachments, addresses for referees, etc. ready when you apply, as the entire application must be uploaded to the system in one go.
  • Do I need to contact a supervisor before I apply?
    It is a good idea to make sure that we offer supervision within your field. Please browse the website of the research groups of the relevant department. We recommend that you contact the relevant supervisor and discuss a potential project. 
  • Do all PhD students pay tuition fee?
    All accepted PhD students must pay a tuition fee, however, in most cases tuition fees are covered by PhD financing plan. If you are self-sponsored you must pay the tuition fee yourself.
  • What do I do with the reference letters?
    You must upload the reference letters to your application yourself. Please notice you must have all relevant attachments etc. ready when you apply, as the entire application must be uploaded to the system in one go. 
  • My referee prefers to send the letter of reference directly to the PhD School?
    In special cases the letter of reference can be sent directly to us. We will upload it to the application so it won't be visible to the applicant/you.
  • I come from abroad - should I get a translation of my grades to the Danish grading scale?
  • What do you mean by project description?
    If you apply for at specific, predefined project, the project description is given. If you have your own project in mind you must write a project description in which you describe/clarify the project. The PhD committee can use the information to find a potential supervisor or to match you with another research project that lies close your field of interest.
  • Am I required to document my English skills (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?
    The English language requirement at Graduates School of Science and Technology is comparable to an “English B level” in the Danish upper secondary school (“gymnasium”).
    English language qualifications comparable to an “English B level” is documented by one of the following tests:
    • TOEFL test, minimum score: 560 (paper-based test) or 83 (internet-based test)
    • IELTS (academic) test, minimum average score: 6.5 points
    • Cambridge English Language Assessment:
      Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)
      Cambridge English: Certificate of Advanced English with grade A,B or C (CAE)
      Cambridge English: First Certificate  with grade A (FCE)
    Please note, that there are exceptions from the language skills requirements. 

For further information see the application guide here